Sunday, November 9, 2008

Boots On The Ground By Dusk. A visit from Mary Tillman



I have met so many dedicated and fascinating people through my work in the antiwar movement. None so dedicated as the mothers. This weekend the DC chapter of IVAW hosted a book discussion with Mary Tillman, mother of slain NFL star/soldier Pat Tillman.

I'd met Mary Tillman a couple of times briefly when she was here in Washington for the hearings surrounding her son's death, but I'd never had the chance to speak with her. My first impressions of Mary were that of a tough and angry mother. Just as I imagine any other mother, including myself, would react in a similar situation; Mary seemed to have a steely determination for justice.

After a couple of weeks of wheat pasting Mary Tillman's face all over light boxes throughout DC, I recognized her at once when she walked into the IVAW house. After she was given the obligatory house tour and then she settled into the living room. The evening was full of good discussion on updates to Pat's case and just conversation in general.

The next time I saw Mary Tillman she was coming in the IVAW house with Geoff Millard and the IVAW intern Robbie Diesu. They had made a visit to Walter Reed Hospital. You could see the weight of their visit on their faces.

We talked about the treatment of the vets and we shared stories about our respective teaching careers. I think that her trip to Washington, this time around, taught Mary Tillman about the kind of people involved in the movement. If a room full of military veterans, a mother of a fallen soldier and this old hippie can find so much common ground....we are doing pretty good.

Mary Tillman's talk at Busboys and Poets consisted of reading from her book Boots On The Ground by Dusk and a question and answer period. It is clear to me that many people have read extensively about the Pat Tillman case and Mary courageously answers them all.


I was truly moved by this experience, as I so often am around the parents of fallen soldiers. I hope I continue to have opportunities like this and that my path crosses that of Mary Tillman's again.

No comments: